But, sure enough the week that we returned from our vacation, I started my new schedule. I used to work 6-2. Now I work all kinds of sporadic, ridiculous hours including a couple of night shifts. I considered (for like 30 seconds) looking for a new job. But, I knew that I would never be able to have such a fantastic job and make as much as I do anywhere else. So, I was forced to accept the inevitable.
I have tried to make the best out of a bad situation. I changed up my routine and brought my iPad with me and worked on a couple of things. I had a good attitude and acted like it wasn't bothering me.
Meanwhile at home...
The love of my life has stepped it up big time. He has assumed the "mom" role with willingness and determination. He is now the Wednesday Cheerleading Carpool Mom. Can you imagine a funnier sight than Raleigh, pulling up to the Stunting Gym with a Suburban literally overflowing with chattering, airheaded, giggling rah rahs? Hilarious. But he drops them off with well wishes and tells them to "make good cheers". He makes sure that all the kiddies get fed with nutritious food and takes them to the pool to get exercise. I don't know what his intent is but I truly believe he is hell bent on being the superior guardian for some reason. In fact, if I may be honest and truthful, it is sort of becoming apparent to me that he may even be trying to "out-do" me. One week on the job and suddenly he is the "go-to" parent. The one in "the know." The decision maker. And I am not sure how I feel about it.
Yesterday, I came home to NO big kids. I said "where is everyone?" And he gives me a play by play of every single child's activities for the entire day. Filling me in on upcoming birthday parties and summertime events. Funny things the children said that day. ETC!!!
Then last night, it all of the sudden dawned on me that I hadn't seen Morgan all day. And I said "where in the world is Morgan?" He goes. "Oh, she went to the pool with Tori, then she came home and got all dressed up for a jewelry party at the Clark's and now she is across the street playing night games with all the neighborhood kids." Clearly, she/they think okaying all of her events with HIM, like I no longer matter is how it is in our family. And he's all proud of all this new knowledge filled with details and accuracy and organization. Making it look easy. Smugly proving it to me that my attempts to try and convince him that this parenting thing is hard have been in vain.
I love it. I love him. I love that THEY love him. But, gosh... one week and I am out?? I've been doing this for almost 17 years and I am just dismissed with no thought or emotion after just one week?? Am I that easily replaced? I guess so.
Yesterday, I came home to NO big kids. I said "where is everyone?" And he gives me a play by play of every single child's activities for the entire day. Filling me in on upcoming birthday parties and summertime events. Funny things the children said that day. ETC!!!
Then last night, it all of the sudden dawned on me that I hadn't seen Morgan all day. And I said "where in the world is Morgan?" He goes. "Oh, she went to the pool with Tori, then she came home and got all dressed up for a jewelry party at the Clark's and now she is across the street playing night games with all the neighborhood kids." Clearly, she/they think okaying all of her events with HIM, like I no longer matter is how it is in our family. And he's all proud of all this new knowledge filled with details and accuracy and organization. Making it look easy. Smugly proving it to me that my attempts to try and convince him that this parenting thing is hard have been in vain.
I love it. I love him. I love that THEY love him. But, gosh... one week and I am out?? I've been doing this for almost 17 years and I am just dismissed with no thought or emotion after just one week?? Am I that easily replaced? I guess so.
Sniff Sniff
4 comments:
I don't think you'll be that easily replaced but let's admit it, it's nice for someone else to be "in charge" for awhile. Kudos to Raleigh for seeing a need and stepping up to meet the demand. He's a good guy. Sorry about the change in your hours but, who knows, this could really turn out to be a good thing.
Well good job Raleigh. Is he going to take over posting on the blog? It won't last long. He will burn out quickly. No man can handle the role of a woman for more than 2 weeks.
My favorite part... "make good cheers". I am going to start saying that just because it is so funny.
I can actually very much sympathize with you and your feelings. When I started working Brian and I came to an agreement that on the days that I worked that he'd be home from work when the kids got home and that on those days that he'd help them with homework, take them to their activities, and get dinner made. He seriously runs this place WAY better than I do. At the beginning I was so hurt at how well this place ran in my absence but then I became relieved and thankful! Now when things run a bit off on "his" days I get a little chuckle and think hmmmm....it's good that he's how things are on my days and that we can both appreciate what each other does. I also found that Brian's relationship with each of our children really grew and I'm so thankful for it now. And guess what I also found out, they still need me and love me:)
Kaci-
THANK YOU, for always making me laugh and keeping me entertained via this blog. I've decided that motherhood makes people more funny, so I hope my family will be as entertaining as yours! How you do all you do and, work at BBY is amazing! Way to go Lady! As they say in High School yearbooks, "Guuuurl, you are so funny! Don't ever change! Have a great summer, see ya next year!"
Post a Comment