Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Livin The Dream

When I was a little girl, my dad played every sport.  And I am quite certain he was the very best player on every team he played on.  I know this because my mom worked nights and she would leave the second my dad pulled into the driveway from work.  He would kiss her goodbye and then he would run into the house, change into his grey sweats and a t shirt and whip us up an outstanding meal with three ingredients that he found in the back of the cupboard and then he'd put his three, young daughters into the cab of his little red truck and head off to whatever game was being played that night.  The cab of his truck was too little for the four of us, so tiny 3 year old, Kami would stand up and every time he'd hit a bump she'd hit her head.  No one wore seat belts in the late 70s.  Whatever....

If he was playing basketball, we'd sit and watch him ever so obediently on the stage of the cultural hall.  If he was playing softball, the three of us would sit obediently in the dug out.  If he was playing flag football, we'd be.... yes, obediently cheering him on from the 50 yard sideline.  And some of the other dad's playing with him would bring their wives because their kids weren't as obedient as us and needed their mom's there to keep them in line.  I would watch these mom's, cheering on their husbands.  Sometimes one of the husbands would run by his wife and he would kiss her or wave to her.  And I was only 9 or 10 but I KNEW I wanted someday to watch my husband play sports with my babies on my lap.

My second go round, I married an athlete.  And he has helped fulfill this dream of mine.  I get to watch him from the stage of cultural halls,  I stand near the dugout and watch him play softball,  I've been to early morning flag football games.  Monday night volleyball games.  I have watched him play hole #2 of The Ranches golf course from our deck more times than I can count.  And I fall more in love with him with each game.  I think he is magnificent.  Just as I think my dad is magnificent. 

On Monday Night  team "Tebucky State" took the title of Spring Softball Champs.... again.  (Insert yawn) because it's not the first and certainly not the last win they will experience.  I'm so lucky.
Please notice the little gal in the bottom left who would not get out of the picture, no matter what.


The girls insist on running the bases after every game.




Passing the tradition on to them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post, especially the "ever so obediently" part. I have always felt that you have such a "flowery" imagination and this might possibly be a good example of that...but...whatever! It IS fun being married to an athlete, I always loved it and believe it or not I went to plenty of Dad's games myself!! I'm glad you are getting to experience this fun part of life and being able to watch your husband do something he loves and be good at it. I hope your little girls (and boy) will have just as many "flowery" memories as you do. Congratulatons to "Team ??" for their big win!!!

The fly-fisherman's wife said...

Congratulations to Raleigh and team "Tebucky State"... whatever in the hell that means?!
I love going to sporting events that my family participates in as well, especially when they are performing well. I love that the girls run the bases... my kids have always done that as well. So fun.
I am excited to see y'all.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

What a fun memory of your dad and I'm so glad that Raleigh is making you so happy and that your getting to live your dream.

Congrats to the team and I love that little girl in the bottom left of that picture. I think she makes the team look really cute!

I'm so sad that we took off before getting to see you all. Have a wonderful trip and Happy Anniversary to you and Raleigh.