Tuesday, April 23, 2013

It's Random...

I've been all contemplative lately.  Pondering all things important and unimportant.  I think very deeply when I am cleaning the house.  And I clean....  A LOT.

Anyway, my boss is making us read  "Self Improvement" books.  I'm grateful for the gentle nudge/"you won't get paid unless you read these" encouragement.  He's also making each of us change one bad habit and replace it with a good one.  Mine is:

             I can't drink a Diet Coke until I've had at least 32 ounces of water.

So, I drive through Swig every morning and get a 32 oz. Styrofoam cup filled with perfect ice and plain ole boring H2O.  It's going pretty well and I actually am almost on the border of craving it some mornings...  sometimes.  And maybe I feel better.  I can't tell.

But, a quote from one of the books I am reading has struck me.  The quote says:

"We don't get what we want, we get what we expect."

Very powerful.  It is suggesting that we are exactly where we are in life because we expect us to be there.  And if you want more or to be more.... you must expect more.  If you want to be a better mother, for example, you HAVE to set higher expectations for yourself.  Hmmmmmmmm.  If only I had more time in my day to set higher expectations!  Sadly, I only have time for complete mediocrity.  Maybe, when I am older, I will be able to expect better things from myself.  

Right now:  I just have to fly by the seat of my pants.  

I have added a few pet peeves to my ongoing list of never ending pet peeves.

#27  HASHTAGS.
How stupid.  I don't understand them.  Don't want to.  I know what you're thinking....  "You just used one."
NO I DIDN'T.  I used the symbol for the word "Number".  That is all that symbol should be used for.

#LOSERS

#13  People from India who answer my phone calls where I am making desperate pleas for help with technical stuff.
I had to call a help line on the software that I use at work.  And OF COURSE, someone in India answered the phone.  In some language that sounded nothing anywhere near English, Punjab told me his name was Jason and asked if he could help me.  I'm sure, Jason is a very smart person and I am certain the problem was mine, but he didn't know what in the H, I was saying and I found myself talking very slowly and getting increasingly louder and louder as if I could overcome our communication problems by over enunciating my words.   He asked me my email address and I told him 8 times K (as in kite), A, C (as in cat) I @____________.
And then he'd go K...C...A...Y??
 or K...A...I ??
or K...A...S.....??

  and finally I just said...

"I DON'T NEED OR WANT YOU TO EMAIL ME, JASON.  You've been very helpful.  And it's not your fault at all.... but you don't know what I am saying and I don't have the first damn clue what you are saying and I am going to hang up now and cry.

#LOSERS

And finally.... Kaleigh's funniest line of the week.  They are getting more and more hilarious as the weeks go on. 

Peyton and Kaleigh were taking a bath and I was folding clothes on my bed and all of the sudden, Kaleigh started wailing.  I ran into the bathroom and said "WHAT is going on in here?"

Kaleigh-    "Peyton hit me on the head and made me tired."

So, I scooped her out of the tub and put her in her bed and she was out like a light in 3 minutes.  Then, because I am a superfreak, I checked on her like every 5 minutes because I thought what if she has a concussion from a massive blow to the head and I ignored it.  Fortunately, she woke up.  Happy and well rested.

There you go.....  that is me making an effort to have higher expectations for me and my mothering skills.... right?

Maybe I will have higher expectations for this blog someday and write better posts.  Until then... this is all I've got.  Have a great week.





3 comments:

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

#greatpost #funnykids #selfhelpisalwaysgood #loveyou

The fly-fisherman's wife said...

I always love the rant posts...

Also, I love the quote. That is one I am going to have to write down so I can look at it and remember it.

Honestly, Kaleigh really does say the funniest things ALL the time.

Anonymous said...

Cute post...reflective, etc. Self improvement is always a good thing but sometimes it just takes so much effort, I can't quite wrap my head around it.

I haven't been bothered by hashtags maybe because I'm a retiree and they aren't part of my world, besides I didn't even know they were called hashtags until just the other day...they are a number symbol to me. But when you said "no I didn't", it reminded me of Peyton.

I'm pretty sure I've talked to Punjab on the phone before...I hung up on him.

Kaleigh is the funniest little girl ever! She cracks me up every darn day.

I don't know about the "we get what we expect" thing. I KNOW I've expected some things for quite a while now and I just don't see them happening. I'll keep thinking about that one.