But there was never one day of doubt that we loved each other. I never felt for one mili-second that my parents didn't think that the earth revolved me. There is no family that I know that is more supportive of each other, more devoted to each other and more in love than mine.
Raleigh is very affectionate towards me. He is trying to show me how to do it. He is trying to make me feel safe enough to express it. He always says "I love you" and it sounds so wonderful when he says it. I can honestly say that he is the only person walking on this planet that when I touch him or he touches me it feels okay. That is how I knew we were supposed to be together. I felt for the first time in my entire life like I fit, like a puzzle piece when I hugged him. It was the most bizarre feeling I had ever experienced. And I cried like a weirdo and I am sure he thought that I had lost my mind, but it was the most indescribable sensation. And I never wanted to stop feeling that feeling.
Sadly, I am a mother that doesn't shower my children with affection. It is foreign to me and very unnatural. I try to say and show how I feel in my heart, but it sounds so stupid and comes out all wrong. I also have about an 8 foot personal space bubble around me. I don't let too many people into that bubble. You REALLY have to earn your right into that space. I don't want people hugging me or touching me. I wish I could say that with practice, I could learn to feel at ease with it, but I don't think I ever will.
It's so hard to be something that you are not.
Anyway, about a month ago, I was driving Morgan and her friends to the mall and we were talking about something relative and she blurts out... "my mom has only told me she loves me three times in my whole life." And her friends were like... oh that is so sad, Morgan..... you poor thing..... I would die if that was me.
And I let myself hate myself for about 10 seconds and then I got in touch with my mother reality and I said... "Morgan, I tell you I Love You every time I drive you and your friends to the mall, and wash your clothes, and make you dinner that you are mostly not present for, and when I get up every morning and go to work so that I can make money to put a roof over your head and cool that home in the summer and heat that home in the winter, every time you take a hot shower, you can know I love you, every time I call to find out where you are and who you are with and when you will be home, you can know I love you, every time I go to a parent teacher conference or vacuum your room or ask you how your day was, you can know I love you.
Nicolas Sparks said it best when he said
Love is more than 3 words mumbled before bedtime or at the end of a phone call. Love is sustained by action: a pattern of devotion in the things we do for each other everyday." I will add, what good is saying I Love You when you turn around and thrash me behind my back the second I leave the room? There have been a couple of times in my life when various people who used to be apart of my life said I love you to me (mostly because it was a habit they had formed) and I thought "the HELL you do. Don't degrade those words by uttering them to me when in reality you feel exactly the opposite toward me. You're two-faced and phony. And no love is happening in this relationship. So don't say it. It makes me want to barf on you."
I am not saying that I am right... because I know that I am not. But, I know that I love my family and my children and my husband with all of my heart and soul. And if my words can't express it, I hope my actions always will.
Moving on to Valentines Day. It was a total bust. Raleigh had to work. We had unexpected company. I was stressed to the breaking point. And I suggested that this year we forgo the traditional "he buys me beautiful flowers and a really funny card about SEX and I search for some stupid gift at no less than 20 stores until I want to stab myself in the eye and finally buy some lingerie for myself and put it in a bag and pass that off as his "gift". Which he says is the best gift I could ever give him because he's sweet. But really, it's so stupid. Besides, I look ridiculous in it any way. Which kills the mood for me because SEXY is not something I do well.
Anywho.... I don't want to do that anymore. I just want to know that he LOVES me and that I LOVE him and that we LOVE being in LOVE. And no better way to say that than to get a couples massage and some ice cream. The bottom line is I love him more than the sun and the moon. I simply love just sitting by him. That is good enough for me. But maybe laying naked next to him with our faces in doughnut pillows with two strange women we have never met before touching us could be nice too. It sounds horrifying to be honest. We'll see.
And so there you have it. That's my LOVE soap box.
This year....I love....
Him with all my heart
This cute boy
These two beauties
This sweet girl
The triplets
And being a mom



4 comments:
I recently kissed Dad on the lips as I said "good-bye" to him. I remember thinking how special it was and yet it felt so foreign. I think I have kissed Reg on the lips every time I say good-bye to him since I was 10 years old?? Go figure.
Although I never felt like I was missing out...being the ONLY one who wanted to hug, kiss, say "I love you" etc...I must admit I LOVE that my own family is affectionate, minus Savanna who must be Kori's daughter. I love that Gavin constantly tells me he loves me, he hugs and kisses me at least 5 times a day. I love that my husband, although not like he use to, touches me when he sits next to me and tells me he loves me often.
I am a person who not only likes affection but NEEDS it. I thrive on love...both words and actions.
I LOVE YOU!!!!
See you tomorrow :)
Cute post, I think. I don't know what it is about this Personal Space thing but I believe, when you're born, either you have personal space issues or you don't. I learned about that from my own children and it has been reinforced with my grandchildren. Some like to be hugged/touched and some don't. However, having said that, I also think that we can extend ourselves to help others feel welcome, appreciated, loved, etc., when it seems like it might make a difference.
I really don't think there is anyone who loves more deeply than I do but, as you know, I am not a demonstrative person. I just don't regularly show that love outwardly BUT that doesn't mean it's not there, inside of me. So consequently I try to show it in other ways and I think I have been successful, at least I hope so. I LOVE my family more than a hug or kiss or saying "I love you" as I hang up the phone could EVER begin to demonstrate. So there.
Well this has been all too emotional for me on a Sunday morning after I have already put on my makeup, but I will end by saying "I Love You" and "I'm sure, I'll see you tomorrow".
P.S. I feel a little sad that Dad and I didn't make the "This year...I love...." list. We'll keep trying....maybe next year.
If you were a Greek you would die! We hug and hug and kiss on the lips, we scratch backs at every holiday and my parents said I love you at least 50,000 times in my childhood. Then I married Carter who once actually said " of course I love you, I told you yesterday and if it changes I will let you know" :) But after 31 years he has become more vocal and I more subdued because really who can take all that affection? Yikes Glad you love and feel loved ! that is the most important part xoxo Karen
I think this whole "I love you" and being affectionate or not affectionate is a very interesting thing! In our family we've always been the kind that said we loved each other quite often and very freely. We also happen to be very affectionate. I do very much agree with Nancy about that. I think it's something you are either born with or not. I have one child that is VERY affectionate. I have one that is ONLY with those that they are VERY close with and the other one from birth wanted and needed their space, however, recently is much better at allowing me to hug him. Anywho, I really agree with you when you say loving someone is MUCH more than words or being affectionate towards someone. When I was little I'd always tell my grandpa that I loved him and he would always reply back with you know how to show me. Which meant to be a good person and do what was right. I have thought a lot about that over the years, and it is SO true. Words are just words but actions speak loud and clear.
I think you are an amazing mother and there is no doubt in my mind the love you have for your children, your husband, your parents, or sisters, or your friends!
Post a Comment