I know that I am getting up in years. I know that I have a lot on my mind. And I heard once that people in my condition have diminished brain function. And I am NOT writing this to get sympathy. But can someone please tell me why it is that every time... I mean EVERY TIME... I go to the store... I LOSE MY DAMN CAR????????
Let me paint the scene...
I pull into the parking lot. I try and make a mental note of where I am parking. Then I go into the store and somewhere between the frozen foods and the household cleaning isles I forget. Or rather, I become consumed with the monstrous list that I have written in my head. "Hot Cheetos for Bray, Deodorant and a poster board for Quin, New underwear without cartoon characters on them for Morgan, baby food, diapers, wipes etc etc." Then I proceed to the checkout. Where I have a small coronary over the amount of money I have just spent. And then I walk out.
And it is literally NO WHERE!! I can't see it anywhere. I try and rack my brain for some sort of remembrance. But there is nothing. I simply can't remember. I promise you, I know exactly what it is like to have dementia. I begin in the isle I feel like I think I might have parked, and then I walk up and down each isle with my overflowing shopping cart that weighs 200 lbs. Until I finally stumble upon it. I am a sweaty mess, I am out of breath, I am looking around to see who is watching me... laughing... pointing.... And then I begin crying. Not because I am frustrated or tired, but because I am literally worried about myself.
I am soon to be in charge of SIX children. And I can't remember where I park my car. What if I forget to feed one of the children? What if I forget to pick one of them up and they are just abandoned somewhere? What if I forget I have children altogether? Which believe me is an option on some days.
But, this is really just a desperate plea that I am sending out to those who truly love me... I want you to know that this mindlessness is a trait I am taking on. And it could be potentially damaging to me or someone I love and I want the record to reflect that I let someone know about it when I was in my right mind and if I need to use this post in my later defense, it is here... written in black on a green background.
Horse Country
7 years ago
6 comments:
So I'm assuming you finally located your car, right? See, it's not so bad! I have an idea...make a list...write down the things you need to get at the store, (you might also include your children's names and where they are and when they are to be picked up, etc.) then your head won't be filled with trying to remember all that stuff and it can have more room to remember where you parked your car. Lists are really great. When I was younger, I didn't need them because I had a really great memory (and only half the number of children that you have!) but as I've gotten older, a list is the ONLY thing that saves me. You have cute writing, I know you can do this, just give it a try!
Oh my gosh, I was just talking to Shane about this the other day. I can't tell you how many times I lose my car! It's so embarrassing! Thanks for the advice with Boston, I definitely am going to try it because I am desperate. Or maybe I'll just give up nursing altogether. I'm kind of done! I'm glad I got to see you guys before we left! I can't wait to hear more about baby #6--when do you find out?
OK, I totally agree with your mom. The reason I agree is because I do the same darn thing day in and day out. Some of the things I forget are things I have literally known for years. Because you are a great mom you will never forget about your kids. Because the car and other worldly things are near as important, I think we tend to push them aside worrying about all that mom stuff. Seriously I can never remember where I park. Lucky for me, I always have one of my girls or my hub wih me and all I have to do is ask. Also, I try to park in the same area everytime I visit the store. xxxxx!
Kaci,
I saw the solution to your problem in an in-flight magazine last week. Seriously. Go to this site:
http://www.findertechnologies.com/
It's a thing you put on your keychain to help you find your car. Problem solved! You're welcome.
Josh
You are so cute! Listen I've been loosing my car for years! Seriously, I never remember where I parked, it's terrible. I think it's just a mom thing. We have a lot of things going on in our heads. I'm with Nancy lists is what seems to save, if I remember to bring the list or if I remember what I did witht the list:)
Good luck! Hang in there!
JoLynn
It's ok Kaci! Try forgetting where you parked when you are in a gigantic airport parking lot and you can't even remember which stop to get off at...not that I do that or anything...
Post a Comment