So I am saying to her as I am doing her hair before her first game. "Now, Allie. All I want you to do is try your best. It doesn't matter if you win or lose as long as you had fun." Blah blah blah
Well, they lost. Not badly though and to be honest it was really because of some bad calls and the other team was just plain dirty. But here comes Allie off the field... kicking the air, throwing her Gatorade, calling that "Number 12 girl" stupid and yelling how she had no skills so she just pushed people instead of playing. She participated in the "cheer for the other team" huddle that they do, but did so with her arms crossed and a scowl and then she stared that "Number 12" down from clear across the park like she was going to find out where she lived and do her some damage later. When we got to the car, she threw her bag in the trunk violently, kicked Raleigh's tire and didn't even protest that she had to sit in the middle again.
Raleigh says...
"Well, you know Allie... that is really what non winners say... and you are not a non winner. You should always want to win... you should always be mad when you lose... losing sucks.... Competition is the will and the need to succeed. It is part of us as athletes. It should always be our goal."
And then they start talking strategy and how she has got to be more aggressive and go get the ball no matter what... even if she has to throw a few elbows herself...
WHY??? Why can't we all just play nicely? Why can't some of us win sometimes and the rest of us win other times? Why are we throwing things and yelling and spitting? And why is winning the end all--be all? Let's just be good losers and stop off at Cold Stone on the way home and have a nice ice cream in a chocolate dipped waffle cone.
Competition is confrontational and stressful and when your children are doing it, it can be downright embarrassing. I just don't get it. It's not in me. Maybe that's why I have chosen as my talents to play the piano and sing 4-part harmony in acoustically perfect rooms. There's no pushing in those things, no winners or losers, everyone just has happy, good feelings. And if you are good at what you do.... you can even give people the chills. But this need to win... to succeed... at all costs... is something I will need to just appreciate from afar. Or from the car... with a towel over my head. Geez.
And then they start talking strategy and how she has got to be more aggressive and go get the ball no matter what... even if she has to throw a few elbows herself...
WHY??? Why can't we all just play nicely? Why can't some of us win sometimes and the rest of us win other times? Why are we throwing things and yelling and spitting? And why is winning the end all--be all? Let's just be good losers and stop off at Cold Stone on the way home and have a nice ice cream in a chocolate dipped waffle cone.
Competition is confrontational and stressful and when your children are doing it, it can be downright embarrassing. I just don't get it. It's not in me. Maybe that's why I have chosen as my talents to play the piano and sing 4-part harmony in acoustically perfect rooms. There's no pushing in those things, no winners or losers, everyone just has happy, good feelings. And if you are good at what you do.... you can even give people the chills. But this need to win... to succeed... at all costs... is something I will need to just appreciate from afar. Or from the car... with a towel over my head. Geez.
6 comments:
Such a cute post, Kac. That Allie, is really is something out of the ordinary but I sure do love her (most of the time). I also love her with TWO front teeth...Amazing! Since she hasn't had them since she was 2, I can't hardly recognize her. I love all these pictures too, I think you captured the real her. Now I do have one comment about your NO NEED TO WIN attitude...just wait until her team starts winning and she starts scoring some goals...talk about CHILLS. It is so exciting to see your child excel in something they love and, for Allie, I'm pretty sure sports/winning will be the love of her life. We're so excited to come up for some of her games and I hope we all get to go to Cold Stone at the end.
Way to go Allie. Way to have an attitude. I love it. I hope we will get to come and watch her play. You will have to send me her schedule. Hopefully, she will have a game or two when we don't have football games.
Losing DOES suck! But I must say that win or lose...it all come down to how cute you look in your uniform...and she really looks GOOD!
Good Job Allie...attitude is the name of the game!
Hey Girlie... It was so fun to see you today!! I just wanted to let my cutest friend know how happy I am that you are so happy and look so amazing. I can't believe how good you look at 7 months along. I would so jealous but being 7 months pregnant is that LAST thing I would want to be right now. But honestly, I loved hearing about everything and I love the glow around you and the stars in your eyes. My old friend is back. I love ya.
~Nat
Oh Kaci... again, you are singing the song of my life. Seriously... look at how teeny she is compared to those other girls. She must be something else on that soccer field. And that is just so cool. I LOVE to watch the twins play because they are THAT good too. And THAT competitive too. I hear ya about the towel over the head! Heated competition can get so loud and obnoxious!
love ya!
Kaci you and me just think alike and that is all there is to it. I couldn't agree more with you about all of that! However, I do love that she has that will and desire to win and bust some chops out there! I'm proud of her and her will to want to win and play hard! Goood job!
Post a Comment