Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Then and Now

Last night, as I was going around turning off lights and checking to see that everyone was tucked neatly into their little beds... on the floor at the bottom of the stairs I nearly tripped over three charging cell phones, an Ipod Touch, 2 little Ipods, another Ipod on an Ipod dock, a laptop and at least 6 PS3 controllers.

My first thought was these naughty children have WAAAAAYYY too many toys and my second thought was "my how this world has changed since I was a teenager."

I was 16 years old 24 years ago. (Go ahead... do the math) Anyway back then in good ole 1987 things were so different. 1. I drove a 1972 Volkswagon Bug with a broken gas gauge. Every time (at least once a week) that I ran out of gas... I just had to sit on the side of the road waiting for either my mom or my dad to realize that I wasn't where I was supposed to be and come and rescue me.

Then:
A. I didn't have a phone to call them
B. And so I just sat there by myself listening to my brand new and totally
rad Depeche Mode TAPE until one of them showed up.

Now:
A. My children text me in the middle of English class and tell me to bring them McDonalds for lunch
B. I never ever would ever consider leaving my home without my phone just incase one of my little darlings needs me to drop everything and take them somewhere
C. We always know exactly where each of us are and n'ery an hour goes by that I don't hear from one or all of them.2. I had the coolest Ghetto Blaster of all of my friends. It was huge. It had a tape deck and I could even tape songs off of the radio. My very first recorded song was Billie Jean by Michael Jackson.

Then:
A. If I wanted to hear a song over and over again, I had to rewind it which was cool if it was the first song on the tape, but if it was in the middle of the tape I had to try and time it perfectly to get to the beginning of the song
B. If we liked a song, we had to buy the entire tape. There was no other option.
C. Sometimes the tape would get twisted and you'd have to unwind it by sticking a pencil in the holes and spin the pencil for days to get the twist out. And many times the tape would break and then you'd just have to throw it away.

Now:
A. You buy songs for .99 on the internet one at a time
B. Put them on the little gadget with headphones
C. Filled with multiple songs by multiple artists
D. And you can get to the exact song you want in mere seconds

3. Which brings me to my next point. The only computers in existence were ENORMOUS (like they took up entire rooms) the screens on the monstrous monitors were black with green block lettering. And the internet???? Oh my gosh. We couldn't have imagined such a luxury.

Then:
A. If we needed info for a paper or something, we chugged on over to the library and hunkered down near the encyclopedia section and copied word for word onto a piece of paper all of the coveted information
B. If we had a paper due... we broke out the heavy type writer and heaven forbid we typed
an incorrect letter because then we'd have to break out the white out and then cover up the mistake, blow on the white out and retype the letter or word and turn in your mess and pray for a C+ .
C. My first computer was a Mac Classic II with a 6" black and white screen. I was a
Junior at BYU and thought I'd died and gone to heaven because I didn't have to spend
hours and hours in the typing lab anymore. Internet came some years later AFTER
graduation.
D. A lap top??? Are you kidding me?

Now:
A. My 8 year old can download 2 pages worth of information on Ancient Egypt and write a perfectly perfect paper in under 30 minutes
B. That same child also just had to help me place an order because I am too lame

4. I would RUN over to my friend, Wendy's house right after school to watch MTV. I remember very clearly watching the debut of INXS' "Listen Like Theives" video and thinking "oh my gosh, this group is going to rock my world."

Then:
A. I recorded Duran Duran's "Reflex" video on my VCR and then I would watch it and
rewind it and watch it again, over and over... screaming, pausing it on John Taylor's face
and praying that some day I could be a groupie.
B. I learned the entire dance to Thriller in one night
C. And there was just straight up dang good music all day long

Now:
A. We have 16 and pregnant. And girls trying to become pregnant so they can be on
the show.
B. I haven't seen a music video in years
C. And we know exactly what kind of losers are going to bless the future of our nation

5. My parents bought us a Ninetendo 6400. The greatest of all gaming systems at the time. There were 6 games you could play on it. Pong (which isn't worth discussing), Frogger, Centipede, Space Invaders, and my favorite PacMan. We would battle it out on that system for a good 15 to 20 minutes every other day or so, because it just wasn't that fun.

Then:
A. The prophets weren't talking about it in conference as being a waste of time
B. Parents weren't worried about their teenagers not getting their homework done

Now:
A. We have killing games, M rated games and combating with your pals who live across
town, not to mention in other states.
B. Nerds everywhere are hanging out in basements killing zombies with sickles
C. Our children have perpetual migraines and constantly dilated pupils from being in the dark and looking at a screen all day


6. We cooked our meals in ovens.

Then:
A. Dinner was a very big deal because Mom really worked hard on it.
B. If we had to eat left overs the next day, we had to reheat it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees
C. Our first microwave was as big as our kitchen, weighed 1900 pounds and cost somewhere around $700.00

Now:
A. We zap dinner in 30 seconds
B. My baby can cook her own meal
C. We may all have radiation poisoning, but we don't really care

Back then:
7. We read actual books.
8. We wrote letters on paper through the mail to communicate with friends not in our town
9. We wore our pants really high.
10. We had to stay in one place when we talked on the phone. (usually in the kitchen)
11. We used cash for everything

We hadn't heard of chargers, couldn't have imagined Facebook, we bullied kids right to their faces, no attacking them with wimpy text on a phone that you could take with you wherever you went.

And now:
My how things have changed. How convenient life is now. How lazy we've become. How dependent on these things we've become.

Do I long for the good ole days??? No way. It was a simpler and much more innocent time for sure, but we can do so much more now and are so much smarter. And quite frankly, cooler.

I do miss that John Taylor and his eyeliner though, he's super old now and nowhere near HOT...and I never got to be a groupie... so sad. And that Justin Bieber is a little cutie certainly, but he aint got nothin' on the boys from the good ole 80's.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very clever post, Kac. I hope this means that you no longer need me to scan your 16 year old picture because I still can't figure out how to do that and then e-mail it to you...I'm really from another generation. A lot of what you said, I didn't understand and I'm so impressed that you know the names of all those "gadgets" that your kids own. The majority of my life was during those "simplier" times and because we didn't know any better, it all seemed just fine. But now when I look back I realize how much easier things would have been EVEN if we had just had cellphones. I can't count the number of times that I paced the floor and drove around town looking for you girls because you had run out of gas or had been late returning home for one reason or another. Not to mention the phone bills when you all went away to college, ours were $300-$400 a month and that was if I only called once a day or so. My, how things have changed. I also can remember when my mom bought my first encyclopedia set (she had to make payments to beable to pay for it). I thought I had so much information at my fingertips, it was amazing...and now, I might have some bizarre question pop into my mind like, I wonder where John Stockton went to high school and first, I can call Brent and ask him or if he's not available I can go on my computer and have the answer in less than 5 seconds. I am pretty happy to have lived long enough to see all of these miracles take place, I am in awe on a daily basis. Unfortunately, along with all this good comes the bad and so we need to arm ourselves and our children against the dangers of too much of a good thing. This will require much good parenting, so gear up, because a PARENT YOU ARE, SIX TIMES OVER!!!!

Karen Carter said...

I begged for a phone jack in my room for years! I used to hate talking in the kitchen on the yellow phone with all my brothers listening in. But it was just too expensive to wire another jack? This post was fabulous and you are so clever! Love ya Karen~
the Karen with dittos and wallabees

Nate and Suzanne said...

Hey I heard your baby was sick is she feeling better?

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Wow Kaci, I feel like a freakin ancient old lady now! You and I are very close to the same age and everything you remember and you did I was right there with ya. I enjoyed going back to those old days but it did make me feel old to see how different and much more high tech things are now. Hmmm....I wonder what it will be like when were grandmothers? Thanks for sharing!

Chelsea said...

Very entertaining post!!

Anonymous said...

BTW...you are NOT 40 years old. I was there, I know!

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

HA! This was GREAT! My favorite thing is the phone...only because our sat inside a cutely decorated box on the wall and said $.05 on it. Plus it had a cord that stretched all the way down the hall into the bathroom for crying out loud.
But the picture of that bug doesn't do yours justice...baby blue with baby blue rims and a plate that read "Racey KC" (sp?) totally lowered to the ground and so loud that neighbors would chase you down the road swinging baseball bats at you.
How fun to remember the 80's...good music, big hair, florescent clothes...and double socks!
Oh those were the days!

Wendy said...

I remember watching MTV at my house. Good times! And we would wait and HOPE that they would play the video that we wanted to see. "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go," "I Send A Message," "Strut," "Take On Me," "A Perfect Way," "Save a Prayer" and of course "Everything Counts"

Now my kids sit in front of YouTube and watch whatever Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, or Selena Gomez video they want, any time they want, with the click of a button.

And most times... (because the computer is in my kitchen) I have to listen.

Loved the post... SO TRUE!!!