Tuesday, February 22, 2011

That is what I do...

My alarm was set for 5:00 am. But I woke up ten minutes before, so that it didn't wake up Raleigh and the babies. I got ready in complete darkness, as I do every morning, so... I looked like complete poo poo, as I do every morning. Who cares? I work in the warehouse.

I was on the road by 5:20, stopped off at Maverick to get gas in Raleigh's car, because it was below empty. His car is the one without the car seats, so it's the one that the working person takes. My next stop, Walmart for lunch foods to get me through the day and baby formula, we had enough for maybe 3 more bottles.

I was in the parking lot of my store by 5:50 am ready to start my 8 hour shift. Where I received 2 trucks, off loaded 33 appliances, and did at least 3 hours of paperwork.

At 2:00 pm, I met Raleigh in front of my store where we switched cars, I now have my car, the one with the car seats... filled with babies.

I go home where I give 3 baths, change somewhere between 4 and 457 diapers, I lost count, pick 2 children up from school, drop 1 child off at practice, 1 at a friends house, vacuum the upstairs, wipe fingerprints off of every cupboard we have, do 5 loads of laundry, folded them too mom will be happy to know, dropped the laptop square on the first and second toes on my left foot, breaking both of them and then I start thinking about dinner.

I trek on down to the grocery store, buy a few items from a list I have in my head. It's now 5:10 pm. And I am in line. I am notorious for choosing the wrong line and don't worry, I didn't let myself down today. So, I am standing there getting all caught up on The Kardashians and who's baby they are having this week and I fully begin to realize that I am in line a lot longer than normal. I should at least be moving up a little. But, I am not moving at all. And I have cause to find out why.

Well, it would appear, to my total dismay that I have found myself in line behind "Crazy Coupon Lady" She is price matching EVERYTHING with ads that she has downloaded from the internet. And she is saying things to the guy like... "that is .89 cents at Kohler's." Or "that's buy one get one free at Smiths" And she literally has a cart filled to the top, overflowing rather... with Campbell's Chunky Clam Chowder Soup and Finding Nemo Fruit Snacks. And it is going on forever and ever and there is no end in sight. She is loading things on the bottom. Hanging stuff off the side. The poor guy is scanning dozens and dozens of printed coupons... looking at me with sorrow and compassion as if to say... "This isn't my fault... I just work here.... she picked me and I don't even know her." And she keeps telling me, as if I give a fig, what an amazing deal this or that is. And then she laughs her nerdy little laugh in an attempt to ease the hundreds of pounds of pressure that I am inflicting on her because.........

I CAN THINK OF AT LEAST 20 DIFFERENT HOURS OF THIS DAY THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER FOR HER TO DO THIS THAN 5:00 PM.

My arms are folded. I take the occasional dramatic heavy breath followed by an obnoxious exhale while I look up at the ceiling. I check my watch. And shift the weight from my broken foot to my not broken one. But, for crying out loud...I've been awake for over 12 hours, I have 6 children, I work full time and what have you been doing all day, Crazy???? Clipping coupons and looking at ads?

Well here is the bottom line that I was forced to admit with tears in my eyes.... That Psycho walked out of there with a cart that was so loaded she couldn't even push the thing for a WHOPPING $80.00. And I paid $73.87 for three bags and a jug of bleach.

So, who's the real fool here? Cuz it certainly isn't her. She is a freakin' genius. I am now in the worst mood I have been in... in a very long time. Because I was outshopped by a lady who instead of working for 8 hours today, saved the money that I earned by surfing the internet for good deals. And probably fed her family for over a week for 80 bones.

I am doing this all wrong. And I don't have the personality or the patience to change. So, I will continue to overpay for groceries and work my tail off so that I can earn enough money to overpay for them because that is who I am. That is what I do.

5 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Oh you poor girl, my heart breaks for you because we really are lots a like. Minus 3 of your children and I work only part time. O.K. so you are a WHOLE lot more busy than I am but we are a like in the way we think about a lot of things. I can't tell you how many times I have got behind some "Coupon Crazy Lady" and thought you have got to be kidding me and then when it was done-who had the last laugh. One clue it wasn't me that's for sure. Or how about the time that all the ladies I walk with were all discussing this coupon thing they do and I inquire about it and their response was, "Oh JoLynn, I really don't think this would be your thing. You have to shop around and go from store to store and you don't really have the time for that." Which in reality meant, you really don't have the patience for this. Which I could have been really hurt and offended by but the truth is, is they are SO right. That was NOT my thing and it isn't my thing. I don't have the time or the patience, and in the end I don't really care enough even though I do think it is cool the way those coupon crazy people save tons and tons of money. BUT I am happy and content just doing what I do, it's easier this way:)

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo sorry...I have lived this experience from both sides of the cash register and it's a nightmare on either side. I have seen a handful of women save some BIG bucks doing coupon shopping but it doesn't last for long and, as I said, it's only a handful because it's just so irritating from even THEIR point of view that they can't keep it up for long. Even though I wish you didn't have to go to work everyday and then come home and do all the other things that you have to do, I don't think sitting at a computer all day and then going to the grocery store at 5 p.m. with your fist full of coupons and then spending hours matching those coupons to clam chowder, is for you or, frankly, any sane person. There are people who really get a thrill from being obnoxious and I call them coupon shoppers...I don't care how much money they save, I mean really, who feeds their kids clam chowder??? That is just obnoxious and that's not YOU!

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

You and me both sista! I don't have the time or the nergy to cut coupons let alone USE them...which is really what is so time consuming...besides...I don't ever what to be referred to as the Crazy Coupon Lady on someone else's blog who's day I have ruined...Ya know??
Your way is the normal way...work long hours for not enough money and getting bent over for every last dime.

Karen Carter said...

Working full time and only six kids to care care of so the question is "what do you do with your spare time"
Oh my lord..even if you never clip a coupon in your lifetime you are and always will be a rock star to me! And the best quote of the day is from your mom "who feeds their kids calm chowder anyways" thats hilarious!!

Ali said...

You have such a good handle on the world around you and the way you describe it could not be funnier! Have you ever thought about stand up? I honestly find you to be one of the most amazing people on the planet. How you do what you do is incredible. I will be visiting your blog more often because you my dear have got it!