Sunday, March 13, 2011

Apparently, Sunday Birthdays are the Absolute Worst

I don't know what to say...
I really do try hard to be a good mom. And I am the first to admit that I fall short... often.
This is not a new revelation, it is not a secret because admitting it, I believe is half the battle.
But, this time, I honestly did everything right, to the best of my abilities, with the information and requests and circumstances that I was given. Please read between the pictures of the many ways that Morgan's birthday "just plain sucked" and how it was nearly all my fault.
Mistake #1
It fell on a Sunday. How was I to know that when I gave birth to her in 1999, that the VERY day that she turned 12 (thus entering into Young Women) would fall on a Sunday? That should be really cool right? But no, it was horrible that such a significant birthday fell on the Sabbath Day. "No birthday should ever be on a Sunday."

I took a picture of my baby because she is so cute.
Mistake #2
I actually listened to her and honored her requests and believed her when she said that she wanted her gift from me to be redecorating her room. I bought her a card and put a large sum of money in it so that she could buy a new comforter, paint, rugs, pillows... whatever. But instead of the "thanks mom, this is exactly what I asked for".... I got the "Sure sucks that I don't have any presents to open"
Mistake #3
I had to work this morning from 6 to 11. As I do every Sunday Morning, so I wasn't there to "make her eggs" like I don't do every Sunday because I work every Sunday...
And
Her dad is in town this weekend and so I bought all the decorations and the super cute cake on Saturday and I decorated on Saturday so we could be ready to celebrate at any given moment in between Dad Visits. My time with her was Sunday, after church for about 16 3/4 minutes. Hardly enough time to be anywhere near impressive.
Mistake #4
We arrived at church late. And we had to sit in the VERY back row. And there were 7 chairs for our 8 person family (Jamie is staying with us this week) and wouldn't you know it??? Morgan was the one who didn't get a chair. And of course this was my fault. And so she stood behind me and boo hooed about how the birthday girl shouldn't have to sit on the floor on her birthday... blah blah blah. So I lean over to Brayden and say "honey will you go get a chair for your birthday girl, princess, sister?" Which he did. Only, he put the chair right behind my chair (probably because that is where the princess was standing) instead of at the end of the row and heaven forbid she'd have to move it or sit on it behind us or something and so she started bawling and began firing threats at me like "I might as well just go home...." like that was going to hurt my feelings.

On a side note:
Why does Brayden love Raleigh so much??
Mistake #5
The cake kinda melted in the warmth of the sun while we were at Church and we didn't have matches and so we had to light the candles with tooth picks that we started on fire from the stove. And that was tacky.
But by the end of the day, after the primary made a big deal out of her and the Young Women made a big deal out of her. And we sang to her. And called her out on her super brattiness. And all of the other children recounted how their "Sunday birthdays really blew too and how mom will probably do better next year..." She kinda pulled herself together. And even said thank you.

Then she skipped off to be with her dad and I packed up the purple party mess and told myself 100 times that I will be blessed someday for giving birth to these ingrates.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute post. Honestly, when you're a mother you just can't win...ask me, I know! I'd like to tell you that it will get better but it might not, so just hang in there and do the best you can, knowing that you will probably only beable to please yourself.

Happy Birthday to Morgan! I'm so excited for her to be in YW, she will love it.

The fly-fisherman's wife said...

Happy Birthday Morgan! I can't believe you are 12 already!

Hang in there Kaci! All will be well someday. Someday, when you are in your padded room, rocking in the corner, talking to people who don't exist. I believe those imaginary friends will be so grateful for all you do for them and you will feel so happy. Hey, maybe we could save the state some money and share straight jackets! Cuz, I am going to be rockin' right along side you.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Is that baby the cutest baby EVER or what!! Also, Raleigh is the most photogenic person I know.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Oh Kaci.....I'd like to say that I have NO idea how you felt and that my children have NEVER said or done anything like this. HOWEVER, that would be A HUGE LIE!!! I think this is just our lot in life as mothers. I mean good heavens if it weren't for mothers who in the world would we blame everything that ever goes wrong in our lives on? Face it were damned if we do and damned if we don't BUT someday, HOPEFULLY, our children will feel the same way we feel about our mothers and love us and actually really thank us for all that we have done and sacrificed.

Hang in there. I think you are absolutely amazing!

P.S. Happy Birthday Morgan, you'll love Y.W.!