Saturday, April 21, 2012

Saturdays Are Recuperative Days

Friday morning at approximately 9:05 and 43 seconds, I was at work doing what I always do at work, doing what I have done for the last 4 years at work, when all of the sudden I heard and felt a pop in my back.  It's what happens sometimes when someone who is 110 pounds tries to pick up something that is 180 pounds.  I did all the wrong things.  I didn't use my legs, I didn't keep my head up and facing forward and wham... in an instant everything changed.  I was in indescribable excruciating pain.  Like the kind of pain that makes you see stars and almost throw up.  I crawled to my chair while my coworkers looked at me with confused faces.  I couldn't speak because I couldn't breathe.  I knew it was really bad.  I tried so hard not to cry, but it hurt like no pain I've ever felt before.

Raleigh insisted I file a workers compensation claim and then he and I spent the morning at Insta Care before he had to go to work.  The Diagnosis: A very severe back sprain.  Just fabulous!!  No more work for me for a while.  But even worse... no baby lifting.  Good thing Allie was out of school.  She'd have to be my grunt for the day.  She ordered us a pizza, she even remembered the tip and she picked up all day long and helped me change diapers.  She was great.  So was Quincey. She made us cookies and we laid on the couch and watched "My Secret Obsession" and "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" (ya right) while all three babies slept. 

When Raleigh got home he massaged me for over an hour and doctored me up with Icy Hot and Heat Wraps.  And then he took care of dinner and the babies because I was literally useless.  This morning I made him jump into the shower with me and wash my hair.  He gave me a long head massage and gently combed conditioner through every strand.

My conclusion: This is the greatest injury a girl could have.

Raleigh was off today.  We had planned to do all kinds of fun in the sun activities but turns out I am a bummer.  So we stayed close to home and he did chores and I watched him. 

Sis got to go to Home Depot.  And she got a new watering can.  She watered the entire front yard with it. 

I hardly look like I am a cripple.  How nice.
Raleigh showing off his new toy.  A blower that he attaches to his trimmer.
Brother sat on the porch and watched Dad mow and sweep and edge and weed for two hours.  He never made a peep.  He doesn't take a binki, but he does this.  Which we all know is forty thousand times worse.



Our yard is so beautiful right now.  Raleigh has worked so hard. 
After a really gross lunch,  we decided a little walk might loosen up my back so we hobbled over to the park across the street.  Literally right across the street and it took us like 20 minutes to get there.  I got a head start because I knew I'd be slow. I looked like an 80 year old woman.  Raleigh was doing his best to navigate a toddler on a bike who has only mastered pedaling backwards.  I by pedaling backwards, I mean applying the brakes.  While at the same time pushing little sister in the Umi Zoomi Car and holding little brother.  He's a multitasker.



Apparently it's more fun to climb on the table than it is to climb on the toys.


K....  Totally HATE the new blogger format.  They asked for my feedback.  I gave them some feedback that they will not soon forget.  I said "are you kidding me?  The nightmare that I just encountered better be because you are currently working out some bugs.  No one asked for you to change your stupid format.  It was already stupid... don't make it stupider.  And yes, I said stupider, it's a word a person uses who is about to go postal.  I'm so sure." 

I will fall over if this post turns out.  If it does, it's because I am a genius.  If it doesn't it certainly wasn't my fault.

9 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I'm so sorry about your poor back! Brian would have SO much sympathy for you. When his back goes it is a nightmare for everyone and I'm not near as doting and wonderful as Raleigh is. I hope it gets better soon!
Your little guy is so darling sucking on those fingers. All of your kiddos are just precious.

Oh and I HATE HATE HATE this new blogger format. I was like what the crap is this?! Errrr.....

The Barton's said...

I have been behind on your blogging. I loved every min. of catching up. You are such a great women. You inspire me. I am so happy that you are so blessed. xoxox

Anonymous said...

Sorry about my earlier comment mishap. I hate this new blogger thing that's happening but I think Kami has hooked me up and maybe now my comments will work and so will my posts.

Sorry about your back injury...when it rains, it pours and right now your health issues seem to be "pouring", but this too will pass. It looks like you were able to have a nice Saturday family day though. The little kids look so cute, I'm so happy the weather is getting warmer so they can spend some time outdoors. Sunshine makes everything feel better. Good luck with your recuperation, I hope you are well soon.

Anonymous said...

I think Ryker is just showing you he's made a decision... He's going to the Y in 18 years... See it?

Kaci said...

Cosmo Girl... I wish I knew who you were because my mom will love that you've discovered this!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kaci, you really do have a talent for writing. I'm not just saying that. You are good. VERY GOOD. You should think about writing a book. (I know, in all your spare time with all those sweet kiddies wanting to "hold you." But really, some day, you should share your sweet, wonderful story because some one out there needs to hear it.
I for one, am glad to share in it. I love that you are so brutally honest, super funny, and share all that beautiful romance. I believe in "happily ever after" and am so glad you finally found your prince.
Did you know if a movie has a bad ending, I make David make up a better one for me to think about?
Well, kiss those kids for me--every one of them. They are precious. And you are right, before you know it they will be gone out on their own and you will wonder what happened to you. It goes by fast!!
Love and happiness to you all. Hope your back issue gets better very soon. That is no fun!!
Take care! Love you,


Cathy

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kaci, you really do have a talent for writing. I'm not just saying that. You are good. VERY GOOD. You should think about writing a book. (I know, in all your spare time with all those sweet kiddies wanting to "hold you." But really, some day, you should share your sweet, wonderful story because some one out there needs to hear it.
I for one, am glad to share in it. I love that you are so brutally honest, super funny, and share all that beautiful romance. I believe in "happily ever after" and am so glad you finally found your prince.
Did you know if a movie has a bad ending, I make David make up a better one for me to think about?
Well, kiss those kids for me--every one of them. They are precious. And you are right, before you know it they will be gone out on their own and you will wonder what happened to you. It goes by fast!!
Love and happiness to you all. Hope your back issue gets better very soon. That is no fun!!
Take care! Love you,


Cathy

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kaci, you really do have a talent for writing. I'm not just saying that. You are good. VERY GOOD. You should think about writing a book. (I know, in all your spare time with all those sweet kiddies wanting to "hold you." But really, some day, you should share your sweet, wonderful story because some one out there needs to hear it.
I for one, am glad to share in it. I love that you are so brutally honest, super funny, and share all that beautiful romance. I believe in "happily ever after" and am so glad you finally found your prince.
Did you know if a movie has a bad ending, I make David make up a better one for me to think about?
Well, kiss those kids for me--every one of them. They are precious. And you are right, before you know it they will be gone out on their own and you will wonder what happened to you. It goes by fast!!
Love and happiness to you all. Hope your back issue gets better very soon. That is no fun!!
Take care! Love you,


Cathy

Anonymous said...

Omg this is silly of me. It's Natalia. So when I was in hair school I decided to make a blog, and never did anything with it, but I still use this email. When I actually decided to make a new blog, I used a different email. Soooo I'm not usually logged into this one, Ha. Mystery solved. But YES! Sorry Raleigh, your son is going to BYU..