Maybe some people we so anxious to come to earth they were like..... "It's okay that I have to go outside in the middle of the night, and run across my farm, in subzero weather, to a little broken down shack with a moon on the door to pee in essentially a hole in the ground, only to top it off with a good wiping with page 347 of the Sears Catalog"....and periods.... oh how did women in other times have periods? I can just barely handle it with all of the top of the line feminine products that we have at our fingertips. I cannot imagine what our sisters in ancient times did to get through. Those same women wore the same 25 pound skirt every day of their lives from age 17 to 24. And it was so inconvenient to bathe that they only did it on Saturday Nights, in the barn with soap that they made themselves. They didn't need to use deodorant or toothpaste because they didn't even have those things.
Can you imagine a date??? Oh my.... the smells. How did any one have any self esteem back then? It's bad enough finding a suitable suitor without having odor be a contributing factor. Intimacy would have to have been SO rough.
I cannot imagine working in the fields, growing my own food, killing my livestock, the same livestock that had been watching me bathe every Saturday night for the whole year and then cooking it (and most likely improperly too). I can't imagine building my own house and riding a horse everywhere. And having dirty hands and feet. And having my baby in my bed with no drugs with only the ladies from town to help me.
I think that someone knew that I wouldn't be able to handle not having modern conveniences. I am so grateful for them. I know that if I hadn't known them, I would have just adapted. But, how lucky are we to be able to zap our dinner in 30 seconds. And wash our clothing every day with delightful smelling laundry soap. We don't even really wash our clothes either, a machine does it for us. We can jump into a warm shower right in our house every single day or in my case, two or three times a day. And if you need to relieve yourself in the middle of the night, no problem. Most of us have two or three options of where we can do it within our homes. In my case.... thank goodness.
Our homes are warm and in the Summer they are cool. We have nice warm beds to sleep in. Our cars zip us along to wherever we need to go and get us there quickly or in my case... very quickly. Our dishes wash themselves. Our food keeps itself cool or frozen.
I cannot even speak intelligently about the convenience of modern technologies. Television, Internet, music. We can communicate with friends and family in different countries in real time. I don't have the slightest idea how my technological advances work, but I am so glad that I am able to work them enough to make things easier for me.
I love the convenience of make up and nail polish and shampoo and soap. And lotions and perfumes and toothpaste. And Tylenol and benedrill.
I'm grateful that I was able to have my babies in a hospital with pain reducing medications. My little Peyton, Kaleigh and Ryker would not be here today if it weren't for modern technology. All three of them had complications that were not as complicated because of machines and their lives were saved.
This is really a topic that I could go on and on about. I truly do feel blessed to live in the time of so many modern conveniences. I hope that I never take for granted the blessing that it is to live in this time.
| Raleigh and Little Morgan in 2007 |
| Checking out our new little miracle who was a double cord wrap, emergency c-section |
| Peyton educates the cousins on the iPad 2011 |
It's November 19th......... and I am Thankful for Modern Technologies
2 comments:
Oh man, you said it all. What would we do without all these modern conveniences.?? Actually when I think about it, I have done without some of those and looking back on it, I wonder how we did it. Things like cellphones, computers, iPads....Wow I guess I did live in the "olden days". hehehe. Well I, too, am so grateful for all these blessings and many more. Thanks for helping me remember it.
AMEN to this post! I have no doubt in my mind that I wasn't born in this day in time for a reason and thank goodness I was! You said it all!
Post a Comment