Monday, April 15, 2024

March 2024

 March was a zippy little month.  It came and went so fast, I hardly had time to document anything.  We had a couple of really fun activities.  We played bingo at the Senior Center.  This place was amazing and I made a decision to live here in my golden years.  You can live in the assisted part where nurses are there to help you, which would be nice if I was living all by myself.  But if not, you can live in cute little 2 bedroom/ 2 bath detached homes on the perimeter and still take advantage of the gigantic dining hall with lovely meals served daily and all of the fun activities.... like Bingo with cute girls.

I occasionally feel upset that I will be a little old lady living alone.  I purposely married a younger man to negate this.  I saw my grandmothers do it and they seemed to do it well.  But, I don't like the sound of it one bit.  I am not a good alone person.  So, in true Kaci fashion, I have to have a plan in place that makes me not have to be fearful of whatever is in my future and this place is a solid answer for me.  

I can clearly see us living here, offsite, occasionally playing bingo on a Tuesday night after getting a sundae from the cafeteria with our old people friends.  Senior years planned (check).  I am looking into putting in a down payment on a place.  I will be a senior citizen in just a few short years.  I am looking forward to getting discounts at all my favorite restaurants and growing older at the Old Folks Home with my young lover.  



Another activity on a different week, found us up above St. George.
We are blessed to get to live here

We changed up the bedroom again.
The bedding that we had was too hot.  It was a big thick down comforter that made a lot of noise every time one of us moved around and one of us moves around a whole lot more than the other.  So we switched things up.
I had to cancel my usual hair appointment last month due to a work conflict.
I didn't have a choice.  Optional work parties are less optional than the word would imply.
So, I cancelled my much needed hair appointment.
And every one knows you make a really bad choice when you cancel a hair appointment.  You now have to be punished.  Punishment is like this.......
OOOOOOhhhhhh sorry.  It looks like the next availability I have that I can squeeze you into is fall of 2026.  
Sorry, you made that poor decision.

I had to find someone who would take me SOONER than later.
I work with Jason and his wife does hair out of their home. 
He persuaded her to fit me in late on a Saturday afternoon. 
And if you are lucky, Jason will assist while wearing a suit after he gets home from a fireside
March was a little windy.
No less than a billion tumbleweeds showed up everywhere in the town.
All 400 of our homes looked like this.  Needless to say, our maintenance techs were busy for days

Peyton was on the high honor roll again.
She hardly works at being a student.  She is most definitely a last minute, eleventh hour, minimal effort scholar.  I wonder what would happen if she actually applied herself.
Ryker had to have some severe dental work. 
I imagined that he would freak out, chicken out, have to be hit over the head with something heavy to make it through.  As was the case in other dental scenarios in the past. 
But, at some point in the last couple of years, he grew up apparently because the procedure hardly affected him in the slightest.  Raleigh said at one point, mouth wide open, he starting singing along to the show he was watching.  The nurses started laughing and Raleigh could hear him singing the Spongebob Theme Song.  What a cute boy. 
He has become the coolest kid.  
Someone somewhere dropped a ball and Rachel and I stepped up and volunteered to purchase $1500 worth of home inventory for one of the Desert Color homes.  Our little outting took up most of our Friday and we had the best time.  I am really at my best when I am involved in special projects.  


Speaking of special projects, I was hired to decorate and photoshoot stage another home.  
It is my very most favorite thing to do.  It is so rewarding when it goes well, which this one did.  
It would be a dream to get to do this full time.  
Perhaps one day.

Somehow....  three of my tires had nails in them and one of them had a nail and a bolt. 
I had to get four new tires and now I have to get a second job to pay them off (haha).

A long time ago, I used to work with Mitch and every year, he would buy me peeps for Easter.

We eventually took other jobs, but kept in touch.
Six years later, Mitch and I found ourselves working together again and just like old times, 
I found peeps on my desk.
Such a good friend.
I can't open them.  It's too cute.

The day before Easter, Raleigh and I did our usual Saturday chores, including grocery shopping for the week ahead.  We usually place an order with Walmart and pick that up at 10:00.  But when there are unavailable items in our order OR if we have to buy something special like guacamole or good produce, we stop off at Lins on our way home.
We did this on this particular day.
While we were there, over the intercom, the store manager, with much excitment, began announcing to all of the children in the store that the Easter Party Cake Walk was starting.  All of the children were to get ready to run through the store looking at the photos of colored eggs with numbers on them on the floor.  When the music stopped they were to jump on one of the eggs.  If the number of their egg happened to be called, they would be the winner.  
Three over eager employees were vigorously running through the isles trying to recruit kids to participate.  None of the kids seemed interested and the employees were very disappointed at the lack of participation, but nevertheless, they did their best to continue to hype up this amazing impending activity.  
Okay....  Everybody. Ready. Begin.
The most annoyingly loud Peter Cottontail music started playing and two little boys ran wildly through the isles.
At the same time the cake walk was in full swing, I was trying to gather up (in my arms) last minute Easter Candy and 2 loaves of specialty bread, 3 cans of green beans and a jello cheesecake mix.  Waaaaay too many things to be carrying by myself.  I needed some help.  But my husband was nowhere to be found.  Where was my husband?  He was nowhere near me, that's for sure.  I looked all over before I finally found him.
He was on isle 6.
Standing on the colored egg with the number 9 on it.
Just standing there.
Not helping me.
Not moving. 
Even though he could see me down at the end of the isle clearly struggling.
And then finally the annoying music thankfully stopped. 
And the magic number was called.....
NINE!
The number NINE was called.
And my husband raised both of his hands high in the air and yelled...
"That's me... I am the winner!!!!"
and he stood there, arms raised and waited unapolgetically for his cake to be delivered.  
And I......... was hiding.............. behind the Cadbury Eggs Endcap...... trying to figure out how I could get out the the store without being linked to the MAN WHO JUST WON THE KIDS CAKE WALK MEANT FOR THE CHILDREN.
I could hear the lady coming closer....  "ohhhhhhhhhhh" she said...
"who's on the number 9?"
"I am getting closer"
And she turned the cormer and there he was.... 
The Special Winner.
Just waiting.
And I don't think she could have been more disappointed to hand that crap cake over to him.
And now we can't go to that store for 3 weeks or more until our faces are forgotten by the employees.

So proud.
That cake was so gross.

And that ended our month.  We enjoyed a delicious Easter dinner with Papa and Nana.  
March flew by.  It was crazy.  
Nothing big happened.  We were just so busy next thing I knew it was April.  
I sure love my family.  They are the greatest group of people and I am blessed to get to live with all of them.  



1 comment:

Nancy Little said...

See this wasn't a boring month after all...very entertaining...especially the cake walk!!! Happy you're checking into the elder care housing cuz we'll be needing to get that info from you soon. Right now we're trying to choose where, at Tonaquint Cemetery, we want our plots located. It's kinda a huge decision. I really don't like thinking about all this stuff...I love my life and I'm not quite ready for it to be over!! I hope we can hang in there a few more years but lately we've had many close friends (just about our age) die and the reality of the whole thing begins to take shape. Anyway, enough of that!! Sounds like March was a good month for the Lund Family...I'm super happy about that...Peyton and the Honor Roll and Ryker and his dental work...all good stuff!! March is always a VERY LONG month for me and this March was no exception...I was very happy to get it over with, especially the speaking in church part!! I hope we never have to do that again!! Thanks for sharing, I've been checking your blog every day, happy you finally got it together on the 15th!!!