Saturday, July 24, 2010

It's over and he did it...

My favorite son went on the Pioneer Trek.

Pioneer Children sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked
They fell in Mud Puddles
And nearly drowned in torrential downpours
They got some blisters
And complained nonstop

But, they arrived safely
Their bus didn't catch on fire and no one got sick
And I am the happiest mom in the world

I have never been so happy to see one of my kids in my entire life.
And I don't think that I have worried about one of them as much as I did this past week.
While we were waiting for them to arrive, it was our task to wade through "A Sea of Sleeping Bags" in hopes of locating our child's stuff. There was weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.
And after looking for nearly an hour, Morgan finally found Brayden's bag. Which was amazing since black trash bags were EVERYWHERE and they all looked alike!!!
Thousands of parents, grandparents and ward members lined the streets of Eagle Mountain waving white hankies and singing "Come Come Ye Saints"
They arrived in 10 beautiful buses. It was the greatest sight to see them rolling down the street with the interior lights on. We could see the people inside with their pioneer clothes on waving to us. Everyone looked exhausted and so happy to be home.
We are so glad that Papa and Nana were able to be there. It was such a wonderful experience

He had the sweetest look on his face. It was almost angelic. I burst into tears the second I saw him (and so did Sis).

But, I think he grew up a little, I think he appreciates his home, I think his hygiene skills will improve too. I sent a journal with him to write down the wonderful memories along the trail, I imagined him sitting by a stream with tears in his eyes bearing his testimony of the thankful thoughts he was having of the sacrifices that the pioneers made to come here to Utah... Well, he showed me his ONE journal entry.

It said... "July 20th... Dear Mom--- Metal water bottles and hot weather--- don't mix."

WHATEVER

I think that a fairly severe case of dehydration that caused him to have to be under a doctor's care for two hours only helped him to gain a better understanding of what the experience was really like, don't you????

Sorry boy, I have NEVER once claimed to be a camper or to know anything about the outdoors. Lesson learned... I will never make that mistake again... Geez

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience. I'm so happy we got to be there, it was really fun! Now if we can just get Quin and Allie home safely, the summer will be a success.

The fly-fisherman said...

Good job Brayden! What an experience. I am anxious to hear more about it. I am glad you were able to go and that you lived to tell about it... despite your boiling water in the metal water bottle.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

That is so awesome! Our stake did the Pioneer Trek a few years ago but none of my kids were old enough to go. Their supposed to do it again I think in two more years and at that time they'll all be able to go. What a very humbling and spiritural experience. I got tears in my eyes when I read that you all stood and waited singing waving white hankies. That is so awesome!

I'm glad it was such a great experience for him!

Take Care!
JoLynn