Tuesday, February 28, 2012

May I offer you some tea?

I've decided that I want to live in the year 1920 in a castle just outside of London. And I want to wear beautiful, perfectly fitting tailored gowns to every meal. And I want to have house maids and footmen and valets and chauffeurs and gardeners. And I want to have lavish balls in my ball room and have guests from other countries pop in for luncheon. And I want to speak with a British accent with perfect grammar. I want to wear gloves. I want to wear a corsett. I want to take weekend trips to Paris. I want to correspond with letters on little paper in little envelopes and by telegram. I want to be preoccupied with the unimportant. I want to have an Army hospital in my library and feed wounded soldiers. And eat delicious desserts with every meal prepared by a cook downstairs. I want to hunt fox while I ride side saddle in a gorgeous dress. I want to wear ankle boots with calf length dresses at a spring garden party.

Oh Downton Abbey you have shown me the error of my ways. I am so ridiculously American. And so pathetically modern. I was born ever so late in the century and no one carries parasols here.

Or wears gloves up to their elbows or darling wide brimmed hats with flamboyant flowers on them. And no one says "darling, will you join me for a stroll into town" and no one curtsies anymore. We are a wretched bunch of uncivilized people. And it's high time we returned to the days of old when men were men and ladies were classy and THE CLOTHES were to die for.

Uuuggghhhhh......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear, Hear...Malady!!

Downton Abbey has certainly given us some food for thought. I have found myself talking with a slight English accent lately and I've been thinking about sewing some pearls on my t-shirts. Ahhh...but alas, it's not to be. It sure is fun to watch it on TV though.

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

I believe I too was born in the WRONG century!
I am falling in love with Downton as well and am envious of the clothes, the shoes, the life!
Why was this NOT my time, my style?? And where has Downton been all my life. I much prefer it over crass reality shows and liberal prime time television!

val said...

my favorite besides the beautiful dresses (and that they have to change for dinner, when they are already all dressed to the 9s) is the fluttering about doing NOTHING. oh i love it. lunch, brunch, chit chat, a walk in the garden, tea, dinner and an occasional trip to paris. oh the life! i don't know if i can wait until 2013!!!

The Barton's said...

Sounds so wonderful! I am a total Jeans and Tshirt gal but would love for the women to be home and the man to work and to have a house maid and gardener. The first person I thought of when I first read this was Kris Horton. LOL.

Karen Carter said...

I am visiting all your old blogs about Ryker because our little guy is in the nicu too : ( he has jaundice and also maybe a little infection. Which is making Ashlyn a wreck!! She may have to go home without him and it is killing them. I feel so encouraged seeing all your tough guy went through and now he is thriving!
I also read about this new show and am anxious to watch it on line. Post new pics of your little guy soon! dying to see how big he is now
Hugs YaYa Karen~