Saturday, September 29, 2012

I haven't been bored for 18 years...

I woke up to the sound of the garage door.  Raleigh left for work at 6:30, this morning.  I wanted to sleep in, but couldn't.  My body is on a timer.  So I put on my Silver Bullet walking shoes and my Lance Armstrong jacket that holds my phone and my headphones and headed out.  I have a route that I take.  But today I deviated slightly so that I could walk by a few garage sales.  (I am in search of a particular item).  I don't love garage sales.  But I do love good deals.  And I am always looking for a bargain.  My ears started aching, which means that it is getting cooler.  Yay!!

I came home an hour and 10 minutes later to 6 sleeping children (Allie was at Kori's) so I jumped in the car and went to Walmart to get dinner for tonight, breakfast, lunch and dinner for tomorrow and mascara for Morgan.  $143.00 later.........  And I didn't have diapers, toiletries, cleaning supplies or household items of any kind in my cart.  It's sickening.

I unloaded the groceries.  Put them away and started cleaning up from last night's Dutch Oven Apple Cobbler Party that we hosted.
It was a fun get together and I forgot to take pictures...
 I cleaned out the "pot", threw away garbage, ran a load through the dishwasher, mopped the kitchen floor with my industrial mop that Kori and Russ gave us as a house warming gift that has literally saved my domestic life.  All, while enjoying a piping hot cup of Mint Hot Chocolate and listening to my favorite Depeche Mode song of all time over and over again.  (In case you are wondering, Wendy... it's "If You Want" on Some Great Reward.  It's the very best one).

Kaleigh woke up first and came staggering into the kitchen saying "Goo Morrrring, Mom"  which confused me... because she sleeps in a crib.... that she can apparently get out of..... and this revelation disturbs me and would prove to be the plague of my Saturday.

I got her settled in her highchair... 

 (which she can apparently get out of as well) 
with a delicious Costco Muffin and a couple of Apple Jacks.  She only eats the green ones.  Well..... let me rephrase.  Actually, to be more accurate, she stores them in her mouth.  For hours.  And doesn't swallow.  She does this with bread products, Fritos, broccoli (and I now know) Green Apple Jacks.  And spit builds up and then it starts oozing out of the sides of her mouth. And she holds on with unwavering determination, with pursed lips that act as a dam until they start quivering under the pressure and then she blows and spews vomit-like stored sickness all over the floor and then she walks off  and continues her day like it's completely normal to do this.  Maybe it is, in the Elvin World...  who am I to judge??  Luckily for me, she yacked all over my newly mopped floor.... as opposed to the carpet or the couch.

Oh So Yummy

One by one, the others joined us, eating bowls and bowls of cereal of every kind.  Filling the sink with their dishes.  Leaving the boxes out on the counter for the Cereal Fairies to come put away...  the Cereal Fairies come every day and put the left out boxes back into the cupboard... the children know this... so there is no need for them to do it.

Then I push all three babies in the swings... which is really one of my favorite things to do.  The two little ones are terrified to go very high or even wiggle slightly, so when I say that I push them, I really mean, I constrain them in the swings.  I give Peyton a big push, run in to the house, put a load of laundry in the washing machine, run back out, push her again, run back in, unload the dishwasher, run back out, push her, run back in, make the bed, marinate the meat for dinner, run back out........ and all three of them have huge smiles on their faces every time I return.


Then I engage for the next 2 to 3 hours in cleaning out the gross garbage can, I wash the bedding, give everyone a bath, lather them up with delightfully smelling lotion (I LOVE lotion babies), get them dressed, turn on "UP" which gives me enough time to take a shower, deep condition my hair, it, straighten it and brush my teeth.  And we are getting ready to go nowhere.  Which is my very favorite place to go with my babies.  But they looked cute anyway.
Sorry Brother... No outside for you
 

Nap time came next, which was easier for some than others. 
 Case in Point:
Nap Attempt #1
Nap Attempt #2
Nap Attempt #3
Morgan and Savannah came home and watched Titanic and ate Froyo (on the couch, a HUGE no-no) and distracted a couple of NON SLEEPING children which allowed me to be able to fold all the clothes.

Then Dad came home.  And not a moment too soon.  And we got busy making dinner.  It was a masterpiece.  Pleasing not only to the palate but visually as well.
Did I lie?
And we enjoyed perfect weather outside
Poor Boy in a Girl highchair.
Kaleigh and Dad played catch
Not bad if you consider she closes her eyes

So what is my conclusion:
Being home is ten times harder than being at work.  I work ten times harder at home.  I'm all over the place.  But it is so much fun.  The day flew by and I got a ton accomplished.  And I loved every chaotic minute.  I am grateful for these healthy, vibrant, busy bodies.  That keep me young and grounded and NEVER EVER bored.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to mention you wrote this incredibly detailed and entertaining post on your blog. You are definitely a SuperWoman! I don't know how you do all that you do, you sure didn't learn it from me!! P.S. The apple cobbler was to die for and the shish kabobs look fantastic too!

Wendy said...

Kac... if you had asked me directly what is your favorite Depeche Mode song... this would have been my reply... "People are Pe... No, wait!!! If You Want from Some Great Reward" I know this is true because that is exactly what went through my mind as I read that part of this post. I knew it and then you said it. So that was kinda fun! Great, great post... I loved the 3 pics of Kaleigh's little bum descending the side of the crib... I remember that time... the twins used to climb into each others' cribs. It was a naptime nightmare, but so, so cute. Like your mom said... you are amazing! And you know how much I love and admire you :-)

Kris said...

Whew! I am exhausted just reading this. It brings back so many memories of young motherhood. You are doing an important work. I am glad you enjoy it. The phrase "getting ready to go nowhere" could be a book title.
The mascara was a great purchase.