Sunday, October 7, 2012

Week in Review

Shortly after we moved to St. George several people mentioned to me that Raleigh was looking really thin.  When one person says it, you take note but dismiss it.  When 5 people say it.... you get nervous and make him an appointment with a doctor right away and fill out his paperwork for him and INSIST that he keep his appointment and give the receptionist strict instructions to tell the doctor to draw blood and give him every test possible.

He dutifully went to his appointment, got a tetanus shot and a flu shot and had blood drawn and every part was checked and he is fine.   And, I could not be happier.

And I consider myself so beyond blessed because.....

During my first week at my new job, I helped Philip, a 33 year old man fill out paperwork so that he could go on an FMLA.  He was having some back pain and when his wife insisted he go get it checked out at the doctor they discovered a tumor on his adrenal gland that needed to come out.  His surgery was scheduled for the following week.  We learned following his surgery that the tumor ended up being the size of a football and was filled with cancer.  The following weeks Philip went on a roller coaster ride of good days and bad days and really bad days. 

On Monday Morning, I got an email informing me that Philip had passed away over the weekend due to complications from his surgery.  And I fell apart in my office because he is my husbands age.  His daughter is our daughter's age.  He was here 3 months ago and now he wasn't.  And I got to spend the next hour finding out how much his year salary was and how in depth his benefits package was so that when I called his wife to tell her that I needed a copy of his death certificate and to tell her that we could help her pay his funeral costs and put the remainder into an account to help her pay medical bills, I would have the exact amounts and all of the information that she would need.  I tried to collect myself before I called her, so that I didn't further burden her with my emotions.  But, there is really no way for a person to make that call without falling apart, unless they are callous and unfeeling...... which I am not. 

Then, I sent Raleigh an email of overwhelming emotions telling him he couldn't leave me, he needed to take care of himself and eat right and exercise and drive carefully and go to the doctor often and help me to love every day that we get to be together...

He responded...  "oh Lover, we are going to grow old together and watch our children grow old together and we are going to die at the same time...two very old and feeble old people"  And I felt better somehow even though I have no guarantee of that. 

Sorry to be such a downer.... 

Tuesday, I took advantage of a free flu shot clinic that was set up in the Presentation Room at work.  I hate shots, but I hate the flu more.  My arm just barely stopped hurting this morning. 

I took Quincey shopping on Thursday and Morgan on Friday and Raleigh had me come over to his work to pick up my new phone that he made me get.  Just as with all of my other electronics... I sure didn't need it, but it's pretty fun to have. 





On Saturday my wonderful friend from work, Mindy decided that we'd had a bummer week and needed to do some crafting.  She is crafty, I'm not so crafty but like to try and I am really enjoying having a new friend who has introduced me to so many fun things....  do do drops, and dirty diet cokes from Swig that are to die for yummy and I can't go a day without one.  Here are some pictures of us crafting at her house on Saturday.

Then on Saturday night, the boys attended the Priesthood Session and we met them at Mom and Dad's afterwards to have pizza and desserts.  They looked so handsome and I love them all for being so obedient.  It was a fun party...  refer to Mom's blog for pictures...

Have a good week... I'm going to try and have a less emotional one.  Less is more...

2 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Oh my goodness what an awful story about Phillip! I have heard a lot of very sad types of stories like Phillip's lately. I can't believe how fragile life is. If I think to much about it I start to kind of freak out. I think St. George must be the place to live if you want to be skinny because Brent is REALLY thin since living there and then I look at Kami and all the rest of you and I think hmmm...maybe I need to move to St. George for awhile.

The fly-fisherman's wife said...

I am glad that all is well with Raleigh. It is such a relief just to know that everything is fine.
Also, super cute crafts. What a fun night.