Friday, November 9, 2012

Thankful......... November 9th

They say a family dynamic consisting of three female siblings is the most healthy family dynamic.  And who am I to argue with "they"?  I'm not even sure who "they" are, but I'm sure they are correct. 

I have blogged several times before about the La La Land that my sisters and I were raised in.  We were not allowed to speak of bodily functions unless we assigned a cutesy word to it.  We shared.  We were polite to one another.  If we played a board game together, my mom would keep track of who the privious winner was and then before we even began the game, she would say...  "now, Kori won last time and so now we need to give Kami a chance to be the winner."  And so we were expected to "throw the game" so that Kami could come out victorious.  "Yay, Kami!!!! You're so good at this game."  We would say.

 My mom told us where to be.  What to wear.  What to say.  And we obediently obeyed.

Well, I make fun, but it was a pretty great family.  Now that we are adults, we will occasionally have a function that we all attend together and my mom will call each one of us and say...  "Now, we have the such-and-such event tomorrow and I am hoping that you can attend and I am hoping that you will look cute."  Such pressure. 

My sisters are the greatest!!  My sister, Kori is the "smart one".  That's what my mom says.  One day my mom called me and said... "Now, Dad and I have just drawn up our will.  And we made Kori the executor.  I know that you are the oldest, and that job usually goes to the oldest, but Kori is just so smart."  I wasn't offended.  Who wants to be the executor?  Smarty Farty can have that job.  I'm not bitter.  But, she really is smart.  She just got her Master's Degree.  She wears a stethoscope around her neck at work.  She knows the answer every time when I call her and I am in the midst of  hypochondriac hysteria.  She will say calmly... "go eat a banana, you just need potassium that's all." 
And she's right.  She is very very devoted to her children.  She reads to them.  She not only helps them with their homework, but actually knows the answers, for real.  She is talented in so many things the list would be sickeningly long.  I think that she has been successful in every single thing that she has tried.  She ran a marathon.  She writes the Primary Program for the ward every year.  She is fabulous.  We could never compete with her, so why try. 

Kami is tough and independent and so super funny.  I think the thing that I love the most about her is that she doesn't take crap from anyone.  I admire the way she stands up for herself.  She is a very successful business woman because she knows what to say and what to do.  She just coordinated the most successful marathon in St. George Marathon history.  We are so proud of her City of St. George accomplishments, there are so many of them.  She is a very loyal friend.  She is very thoughtful of others and is always willing to help.  And would do anything for me that I asked of her.  She is probably the funniest person I know.  I love when she really gets going.  I could laugh for hours.  She is very grounded and gives very good advice.  And I ask for it often.  She is very flamboyant in her style of dress.  She is always up on the latest fashions and spices them up with unique accessories.  And she has the type of personality that can pull off anything.  She has an equally flamboyant style when it comes to home decor.  She is very creative and has a very cute house. 

I am so lucky that my sisters are my really good friends.  I am really lucky that we get to live by each other and hang out more.  I am especially lucky that they are married to great guys too and the six of us get along so well.  It is wonderful when your family loves each other.  I am glad that we do. 

 
 
It's November 9th....... and I am thankful for my sisters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In so many ways, you are still living in that "La La Land". Many things you said are JUST NOT TRUE but all the things you said about your sisters ARE VERY TRUE. They (and you) really are wonderful sisters/daughters/mothers/wives/people/employees/friends, etc. You are blessed and so am I.

After your nice post yesterday, I was feeling pretty puffed up...well so much for puffed up. I woke up this morning to learn that I am a control freak/dictator. Oh well, one day of La La Land was fun for me.

Just for the information of your readers...that board game story never happened, maybe in your mind, but not for real.

Race Operations Manager said...

Thank you!! I got all choked up reading about how fabulous I am! :)
You know one could be offended that Kori is smart and that I am merely flamboyant and funny...BUT Kori definitely got the smarts in this family!!...so flamboyant it is!...and I will gladly take it!
I couldn't be happier to have you and Kori as my sisters and friends. The two of you are two of my greatest blessings. I am one lucky little sister.
Thanks to you for being the cute one...the dramatic one...and actually you have become the funny one. You crack me up and I love how happy you are. Thanks for being my favorite oldest sister!
I love you!!

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I think this post about you and your sisters is so sweet and whatever your mom did I think she must of did it right because you all turned out to be quite wonderful individuals.