But I had an experience at work today and so I am last minute switching things up because my heart is full. We are getting audited at work and I was assisting and so I had a lot of down time in between pulling files and paperwork and programs. I sat on the floor of the file room and I read the scriptures on my iPad. My reading this time is sporadic. Instead of reading cover to cover, book to book. I am reading my favorites first. And I am going really slowly so that I can enjoy the footnotes and cross references. I also read conference talks pertaining to specific passages or stories to increase my understanding.
This morning on my way to work in my morning prayer, I asked that I could be guided to know some things that I could do to improve myself. And I tried to see if I'd get answers as I read.
Last month I read Ether... my second favorite book next to 3Nephi. I love Ether, because I really love the Brother of Jared. I love how he doesn't even have his own name. He is the Brother of Jared and YET he does all the work. He gets all the answers and builds the barges. He's the main character and we never learn his name. I don't know why, but I feel very connected to him. I really admire his humility and in the midst of him thinking that he is a sinner and completely unworthy, he is allowed to see the finger of the Lord. Showing that how we see ourselves or how other people see us IS NOT how the Lord sees us. I've digressed.
Then I transition to Mosiah. Because in Mosiah the Record of the Brother of Jared is found among the land of bones. And so it seems like a natural transition. Then I move on to Alma. That's where I was today and a particular scripture touched me because I feel it was a subtle answer to my little prayer. Alma finally had the chance to go out and preach and he runs up to the land of Gideon. And he finds good people there, but he still gives them some advice.
And the scripture is Alma 7:23 and 24 and it says: Be humble and be submissive and gentle, easy to be entreated (which means to make an earnest request), full of patience and long suffering being temperate (or moderate) in all things, be dilligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times
Asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need of both spiritual and temporal
Always returning thanks to God for whatsoever things ye receive
And if you have Faith, Hope and Charity you will always abound in Good Works.
Essentially I need to slow down... and be patient.... and ask for help..... often..... and do things for other people.
But more than that, I feel that I know today that the Lord hears our little individual prayers and takes the time to answer us. No matter how insignificant we are. What better news is that?
It's November 28th.............. and I am Thankful for Spiritual Things
2 comments:
Just this past Sunday, I taught the story of the Brother of Jared to my darling Primary class. I wish I had had your insight on that day, although the lesson did turn out OK. I, too, am thankful for all the tender mercies of The Lord...the "little" prayers that are answered quickly and increase our faith immediately. What a blessing. I'm happy that you have the opportunity to read the scriptures at work from time to time, I know it makes the days happier. I love you for your insight into these sacred books...I hope I can be like you when I grow up.
What a beautiful post. I love the way you are reading your scriptures. You are really taking the time to study them and understand them and find meaning in them for your life. That is awesome!
I too have been seeing the Lord's hand in my life a lot lately. It reminds me that He really does listen and loves us.
Post a Comment