Thursday, December 20, 2012

Charmed

My husband lives a charmed life.   I always say to him.... "that's easy for you to say, nothing bad has ever happened to you."  He honestly believes and lives his life by the policy of
"If you believe that it will happen, it will."
And it does... for him.  He has been busy this holiday season researching and finagling hot deals for us.  He has made it possible for us to produce a pretty nice offering of gifts for the children.  It's not easy to buy gifts for seven kids.  But, he has been having the time of his life wheeling and dealing. 
All the while, I am shaking my head in disbelief at what he's been able to come up with.  I keep saying to him "enjoy this ride while it lasts but your luck is about to run out, Lover."  And as soon as I say that he'll out-do the last charade.  I'm starting to question his methods...  who is this LUCKY??
Let me give some examples
Example #1
May or may not have involved him returning a lame and nearly useless item that we didn't want for a iPad Mini that fits delightfully into my purse, which has several books and activities on it that I may or may not indulge in at the workplace.  On multiple occasions throughout the day.  Maybe??  I was unaware that I would enjoy the smaller version as much as I have.  He forced it on me saying... I know you will love this.... and I really have.  But, the dang thing didn't cost us a dime.  How does that happen? 
Example #2
Kaleigh is 2.  And she is a mighty fine tantrum thrower especially as her naptime approaches.  About a month ago, she was tantrum throwing and Morgan tried to distract her by handing her my iPad.  Which Kaleigh threw on the floor, shattering the screen.  I was pretty upset, but I decided not to get too heated up about it, after all, we had purchased the replacement plan on it.  Raleigh took it to work with him the next day and was saddened to discover we were 14 days outside the policy for replacement.  He brought the iPad home and put it on top of the fridge.  I said  "now what?"  And he said I'll figure something out.  (I am certain that he immediately began channeling his thoughts, willing the cosmos to bend and twist some good fortune our way.) And suddenly as if a thought fell from the sky, it dawned on him that during the holidays, Best Buy extends the life of the replacement plan by 30 days and all he needed to do was educate the cashier on this epiphany of information.  The next day, he took the shattered 32GB iPad back to the store, traded it for a 64GB and the Gods of Good Fortune added an in store credit in the amount of $110.00 into his charmed hands, to which he turned around and bought 7 additional gifts for the kids.  Don't ask me how or why.  I don't really understand and to be honest am a little afraid to question it too much. 
Example #3
We put up our tree last year and noticed that the entire mid section wasn't lit up.  Raleigh spent the better half of a week replacing bulbs and rewiring circuits etc.  He is patient, but even his patience was over challenged.  I suggested that we buy a new tree, so that he wouldn't have to go through that again.  This year he opted to spare himself the frustration of hours of electrical genius and purchased strings of lights and dispersed them among the branches.  He was so disgusted at the thought of having an imperfect tree.  It was really bothering him.  So last night during our weekly visit to Costco he told me to hang tight for a second while he asked the girl at Customer Service a question...  I watched him as he charmed her for a couple of minutes.  Then I saw a man with obviously more authority come over and talk to him.  They studied the computer screen for a minute or two and then Raleigh shook the managers hand and I noticed he had a little spring in his step or maybe it was confident-cockiness as he walked over to me, slapped me on the butt right there in the food court and said "they're going to give us a new tree."   OUR TREE was purchased in 2008.  It should be flickering out.  It's FOUR years old.  But, he casts some sort of Lucky-Man spell on the poor Costco personnel and WHAM, next year, we will be putting up a BRAND NEW TREE that we didn't pay a dime for.  How does that happen?
Maybe I am giving him too much credit...... however,  we have in fact spent 72,843 dollars at Costco over the past 5 years....  a new tree is the least they could do.  
But, what in the world makes him think he can do these things?  He just THINKS it will work out and then by golly it does.  I say... "you live a charmed life and I am so glad to reap the benefits of it by default."  And he says...  "you are my lucky charm."  
Whatever.........  My lucky days started when he confidently and cockily charmed me into joining his life.  And slowly but surely he just may make me a believer in the Raleigh Lund Power of Positive Thinking Policy that obviously works.  Over and Over. 
On a semi related note:
We were also extremely lucky to receive the nicest and most thoughtful Christmas Gift from our favorite Aunt and Uncle that will allow us to be able to go on a REAL date and afford us the opportunity to do something we haven't been able to do in over a year.... see a real movie in a real movie theater. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for thinking of us.  It means more to us than you will EVER know. 
This is shaping up to be a very enjoyable Christmas experience. 
 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did I miss this funny post?? I just came across it tonight and thought it was a mistake...maybe from December of last year...but then as I began to read it, I realized it was from this year afterall. Well anyway, very cute. Yes, that Raleigh is a clever guy, always getting the good deals. Lucky him...Lucky you too! Because with SEVEN children, you guys can use a good deal every now and then.