Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Happy, The Sad and the Downright Unbearable

Happy
I managed to sell the couches. 

And I managed further to make a little profit.  Which technically makes me a businesswoman.  Right?  I had lunch with a guy on Tuesday, he's Raleigh's age and he's owned 3 successful businesses with plans to own several more.  He is overly confident in himself and makes business processes seem so easy.  His philosophy is "always make more than you spend.  No matter the amount.  It's all in the game."   Well.....  duh.  Easier said than done sometimes, young man with virtually no life experience to speak of.  Nevertheless, I did that.  And generated a 20% return.  

The relief that lifted off of me was fabulous.  I have had a stress headache for a week.  I am so lame.  I don't know why I create stressful situations for myself.  But, I continually do.   However, herein lies the joke of the story.  I have not had one call on them, even though they have been on all of the websites for a week and the very second that I had the hot cash in my hand, the calls started pouring in.  I currently have 5 messages in my inbox.  Isn't that how it goes?   Had I had an OUNCE of intelligence and a SMIDGE of patience, I could have pitted my buyers against each other and wheeled and dealed a larger amount. 

I was instead more interested in diverting the near catastrophe.  And a very valuable lesson was learned.  I am not meant to delve in the ways of business.  I am too uptight.  I will just be content to walk the safe road and make next to no money for the rest of my life.  

And I promise that makes me happy


I might add a couple of other happy thoughts including but not all encompassing:
1.  My Harvest Decor is up and there is a chill in the air
2.  I LOVE having Wednesdays off
3.  I have a brand new tub of soft licorice on my kitchen counter
4.  I can start wearing my boots as of October 1st.  An unofficially personally set boot date.
5.  I am arguably the most happily married woman on the Earth

Sad
I'm so totally awesome and I threw my back out on Sunday.



I don't know how really.  I bent down to pick Ryker up and it popped and I went from a spry young chick to a 95 year old woman in the blink of an eye.  I was rendered virtually useless.  I looked ridiculous.  I had to get all hopped up on Tylenol and probably destroyed my liver.  When I threw my back out 2 years ago, the doctor said....  "once you have a lumbar sprain, you are very prone to them for the rest of your life."  Awesome grouping of words.   Do you know how many things you use your back muscles for?  Like every bodily movement with the exception of blinking.  The extremely worst part of a back injury is sneezing.  I very nearly passed out.   Raleigh massaged me for over an hour.  Considering how crippled I was, my recovery was fairly quick.  I didn't even get to miss a day of work.  I was there.  Even though I was as slow as a snail and moaned a lot.

A couple of other sad items include:
1.  My car is in the shop.  And is so sick, they had to keep it overnight.  Which can only translate into a MASSIVE amount of money.
2.  Ryker had to get 4 shots today
3.  Raleigh has to go on another unnecessary and totally worthless business trip this month

I feel a little sad

Unbearable
My favorite co-worker of my entire life is leaving our company




I can barely write about this.  I have been teary and borderline depressed for almost two weeks now.  I don't know how you say good-bye and thank you to someone who literally brought daily happiness to your life for seven months.  I don't know how I will go to work from now on knowing he is not there.  He has been my friend, my confidant, my supporter, my mentor and my therapist.  I have known a lot of good and kind people in my life, but Mont is one of the best men I have ever known.  I wish him the best of luck in his new job, but man I am heart broken,  I feel very abandoned and I will miss him for a very long time.  He is someone who, in his presence, you want to be better.  He is a man full of integrity, honesty and wholesome goodness.  All things that I will do my very best to emulate in his absence.  There are not enough of these people in the world.  I am so lucky to have known one of them.

I was teary on and off all day.
UNBEARABLE!!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! I'm so happy you sold the couches. When I saw the picture of them on Instagram, I thought you'd be stuck with them forever! The profit part is a little unbelievable but so so nice.

Sorry about your back. It's hell to get older and have things bother us that have never bothered us before. On Wednesday I walked up FOUR flights of spiral stairs on my way to the fourth floor of the Temple and when I got to the top, I literally thought I was going to die right there. What happened to the days when I could have run up those stairs effortlessly (not really, I don't think "those days" ever really existed but let's just pretend they did)?? It sounds like you got better pretty quick though and that's great. Our bodies really are miracles and I love it when they heal themselves. Mine is still aching from my stair walking...sniff.

I never did get to meet Mont but I feel like I know him and love him too. I'm so sad that you won't be working with him any more but I'm happy for him and his new job. I hope all goes well for both of you.

We're looking forward to this weekend and spending some time with you. I can't believe that we live in the same city and I hardly see you. I get to see your family but not you. I'm looking forward to some laughs.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I am SO SO SO happy you sold those couches! You are the bomb! AND not only did you sell those couches you made a profit too! See being nice does pay off-well sometimes:)

So sorry about your back. I have to say, thankfully I've never had much trouble with my back. Brian on the other hand is a walking time bomb all the time with his back. I have seen him in a great deal of pain over his back. I hope you feel better very soon!

So sorry about your friend leaving your work. That's really hard. But on a happier note about work I'm so happy you have Wednesdays off!

Lots of Love To You!

Karen Carter said...

Glad bout the couches...sad about the back and your sweet friend leaving you! And i too am amazed at how many people makes oodles of money while I am just trying to have a bit of fun and a pedicure when my feet snag on the carpet, but the bills are always needing to be paid? someday maybe?
Keep smiling...there are tons of billionaires who would pay anything to have a happy marriage and you have one!! You are truly rich